Thursday, November 18, 2010

Toofsome


We finally have a third tooth. Just in time for his first birthday next week! You can see it there poking out. I keep hoping he'll end up with a diastema. Since Scott and I were both gap-tooth kids, signs point to 'yes'. Mine was "fixed" when I had a crown put on my front tooth (I broke it in half on my 18th birthday), and I wish they'd left it alone. Oh well, chances are Zephyr'll have one, and will hate it, and I'll always tell him how awesome and adorable it makes him, but he'll never believe me.


Here he is practicing his waving. He does this a lot, waves to himself by opening and closing fingers like the sign for "nurse." He will actually chase the cats through the house on all fours and stop to wave at them (he combines the wave with the "c'mere kitty" sign when he does this).

I have no idea, either. Best just leave this one a mystery.

His new camera face, though, appears to be bracing for the flash. I hate using the flash, but it's so dark all the time now, what with the rain and all those moody doldrums in the air. Nowadays we spend a little more time snuggled under a blanket watching cartoons and a little less time strolling around. I do get stir-crazy, though, and I'm sure he does too. Our house just doesn't feel big enough for all his explorations and I will probably start making the pool a more regular occurrence. I want to take him to one of those baby gyms but I don't want to expose him to all the ick that covers toddlers. But I know his little immune system needs a workout, too, so maybe I'll concede. Or maybe I'll just invest in some good rain gear for him.

Other news this week:
  • Stacking is sticking around. He will stack things up in his hands, Scott's hand, and mine. However, if I am the one who stacks, he instantly destroys the stack. This has prompted the invention of a new game: How Fast Can You Stack Before Baby Smash
  • He can use the sign for "more" (though it ends up being more of a touching his palm with his index finger), and he uses it a lot for food. If he thinks I'm holding out with fruit, he will ask for more until he's eaten about twice the capacity of his stomach.
  • He freely gives objects to me if I present my open palm.
  • He can drink with a straw (though he still prefers to empty a cup all over his dinner tray and himself).
  • He can climb up and back down stairs. One more hallway needs blocking.
  • Today he opened the under-sink cupboard. I went to put the locks on it, but turns out, we bought 5 of the latches for the fridge and none for cabinets. There is presently a rubber band around the cupboard handles, and this seems like it'll do the trick just fine.
  • He can now stack those stacking rings back onto their peg instead of just picking them off and throwing them to watch how far they'll roll.
  • He will put his toys BACK in their basket when I ask him to! Sure, he often picks up the basket and dumps them back out, but then he puts them back in!
This is all pretty much in one week! I can't believe how fast things change; once he's picked up some momentum, this boy is unstoppable.


3 comments:

  1. I like that second picture, where he's looking at his booger.
    What an amazing boy. Love him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thank God that toof finally broke free... And thank you for posting the gag reel and not just the holiday card shots - loving every one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shot of him grabbing himself. Future rock star. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Thanks for saying nice stuff about my baby.