Thursday, September 30, 2010

Indian Summer


After a brief flirtation with fall-like weather, we are back to warmer days. And after a two-month stint with sleep regression, we are back to good old-fashioned, 12 straight hours, through-the-night sleeping. It started on Monday night with 13 straight hours. Scott actually went an woke him up at 7:30 so we could keep on schedule for his morning nap. I woke with my breasts as hard and swollen as when they first made milk, dripping everywhere until I could nurse for relief.

Surely this was a fluke? Then, naptime at 9:00, he finished nursing and looked at me, murmured a few babymumbles, and he rolled over with his thumb and blankie the moment he hit the crib. He napped for 3 hours that morning, then again in the afternoon. And though his naps are not always that long, he has regained his record of sleeping all night long without needing a snack. From 8 months until 10 months, almost to the day, I was afraid that this wasn't just a phase, but then it was. Everything is.

He can say "mom," and "yum." He makes music with a rattle I made of a yogurt tub filled with dry beans. He shrieks with delight when we play peek-a-boo. He has discovered his penis. He eats dirt if we let him.

He is a perfect little boy.

3 comments:

  1. My son crawls into our bed every night between 2 to 4 AM. We thought it was a phase. It started when he was 2.5 and now he's 7. Surely he will stop before he's a teenager??

    How very lucky you are, not just with the sleeping. He's a cute little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect, you're right! and really cute, too! (but then, his parents aren't bad either! ;) )

    I'm a bit jealous about the 13 straight hours, though!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Thanks for saying nice stuff about my baby.